Fervent Coder

Coding Towards Utopia...by Rob Reynolds
posts - 278 , comments - 431 , trackbacks - 0

My Links

News

Rob Reynolds

About Me

I manage several open source projects. Need...
   ...package management for Windows?
   ...automated builds?
   ...database change management (migrations)?
   ...your application to check email?
   ...a monitoring utility?

I also write for

Like what you are reading? Want to buy me a cup of coffee?
PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!

Article Categories

Archives

Post Categories

Image Galleries

Sites

HTC Touch Pro

htcPro

Photo originally from Engadget.

Today I went to Best Buy to pick up a new phone. I've had the HTC Apache (aka the PPC6700 or VX6700) for nearly three years now.  I have kept the Apache up to date by putting WM6 on it, otherwise I probably would have switched sooner.  I was going to get the HTC Touch Diamond, then I learned of the HTC Touch Pro (HTC 6850).  This isn't an iPhone, but it's close enough for me.

Print | posted on Monday, October 27, 2008 11:23 PM | Filed Under [ Personal ]

Feedback

man... so jealous...
10/27/2008 11:45 PM | Lee Brandt

# re: HTC Touch Pro

I just picked up the Samsung Instinct through my Sprint plan, but they are going to have the HTC Diamond available in a couple of weeks.

What makes the HTC a great phone? I'm just trying to decide if I go to something like the HTC instead.

Chris
10/28/2008 1:39 PM | Chris Sutton

# re: HTC Touch Pro

@Chris: First of all, it's a windows mobile phone. That means I can install whatever I want on the phone. It also means I can write apps for the phone.

Second, I have a keyboard.

Third, I can use my phone as a modem.

There are more reasons, such as the full VGA screen on this phone and the accelerometer (like the iPhone, turn the phone sideways), exchange integration, email integration on the whole, etc.

Another great reason is that I am answering this post from my phone.
10/28/2008 2:19 PM | Robz

# re: HTC Touch Pro

does anyone know how to use the htc touch pro as a modem without subscribing to a phone plan, just use as a modem???
11/8/2008 6:22 PM | Frank

# re: HTC Touch Pro

@Frank: I think you'll have to ask someone else about that. From what I can tell, you have to have phone service or WiFi available for the phone to be used as a modem. But if you have WiFi available, you probably don't need the phone.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that you do need phone service.
11/9/2008 12:47 PM | Robz

# re: HTC Touch Pro

did you find out how to use the phone as modem? any file to download?
1/1/2009 12:35 PM | RayitaP16

# re: HTC Touch Pro

Go to junefabrics.com, and download the software (PDAnet) for the HTC. It works, perfectly.
1/3/2009 1:29 AM | Alan

thanks. It worked.
1/3/2009 1:24 PM | RayitaP16

# re: HTC Touch Pro

Glad someone answered that. Another tool you can use is WMWiFiRouter: http://global.wmwifirouter.com/
1/3/2009 9:23 PM | Robz

# re: HTC Touch Pro

Can I use teh htc pro as a modem on mu note book?
3/3/2009 10:11 AM | Pryme

can sum 1 tell me how to connect gprs on phone
3/22/2009 3:13 PM | hhh

# HTC Touch Pro as modem

I have the HTC pro with internet is there a way to use my phone as a modem without getting the data plan.
6/20/2009 9:44 AM | Chris

# re: HTC Touch Pro

@Chris: I cannot answer that question, even if I know the answer. You may want to check out ppcgeeks.com or xda-developers.com
6/20/2009 1:50 PM | Robz

# re: HTC Touch Pro

all the software for using the htc 6850 as a modem should be included with the packaging. I recieved that software with my phone packaging
6/25/2009 2:27 PM | Rafael

# re: HTC Touch Pro

what is needed to use this on a mac?
7/16/2009 4:31 PM | Kyle

@Kyle: Not a clue. :D
7/16/2009 5:18 PM | Robz

# re: HTC Touch Pro

has anyone discovered a good program for streaming music to your HTC from your computer. My buddies with the iphone stream there home libraries to there phones and i would love to do the same.

Kyle
7/20/2009 9:28 PM | Kyle

@Kyle: You might check out PPCGeeks.com
7/21/2009 10:46 PM | Robz

# re: HTC Touch Pro

My company is making us get rid of our phones and going to the HTC Touch Pro. Is this phone as bad as some of the reviews i've read on Verizon and CNET websites?

Thanks!
8/3/2009 12:35 PM | cocoathundr

# re: HTC Touch Pro

@cocoathundr: It all depends on what your expectations are. I'm answering this post from my phone and I'll be emailing you from my phone as well in a minute. The speed of the phone as compared to other WM phones is pretty fast, if you compare it to WebOS or Symbian (or even iPhone's OS), you are going to find it slower.
I personally am not a fan of the iPhone vs other because the iPhone is top notch and for nearly everything its gonna be on top. For freedom (customizability), features, and price of service the iPhone doesn't compare to WM phones like this one.
8/3/2009 5:09 PM | Robz

# re: HTC Touch Pro

Kyle -Missing Sync by Mark Space will connect and sync your Windows Mobile phone to your Mac. It works with Entourage as well as iCal, Address Book, iTunes and Mail. Great product!
10/6/2009 12:54 AM | Pastor Mike

# re: HTC Touch Pro

@Robz hey man, i really appreciate your post. I have had the HTC 6800 for a while. i loved all the extra buttons on the side; infra red switch, connectivity button, roller, notes button and ok button which they took off in the htc 6850. the htc 6850 is time and a half as fast though and really i dont think i need the extra buttons. So should i get a 6850 now? the insureance comp in soffering either the 6850 or the 6900 wich is all touch. Or should i consider just buying something else. sorry this was os long man. Thanks again.
12/14/2009 1:25 PM | VanBell

# re: HTC Touch Pro

@VanBell: I still have the TP and it's been a good little phone up to this point. YMMV.
12/15/2009 10:15 PM | Robz

# re: HTC Touch Pro

That's good to hear. I'm thinking of getting a TP to replace my HTC Mogul that I have had for three years now.
12/23/2009 1:50 PM | Sean

Facil
12/29/2009 5:18 AM | dd

Originalmente publicado por rjmjr69
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE Comm InternetSharing]
Extension = Eliminar entrada isext.dll el

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE Comm InternetSharing Configuración]
= ForceCellConnection Sprint

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE Comm InternetSharing]
MaxCMCon = 0

HKLM Servicios CMGuardian
Flags = 4 (que es un valor DWORD, si no existe.)

-------------------------------------------------- -------------------------------------------------- ---------------

Publicado desde mi Atado Touch Pro

Hola a todos que la gente busca Touch Pro / Instrucciones de Rafael:

Ejecutar Intenta Si InternetSharing, Vera Sólo un menú desplegable, que le Permite seleccionar USB o Bluetooth PAN. Siga estas instrucciones
(extraídas de anteriores posts) para volver a Habilitar el uso de la conexión de datos de su teléfono y Recibe Alrededor de atar a las normas.

Personal Blas: Recomiendo PHM Registry Editor, en vez de Total Commander. Se Fácilmente Puede encontrar y La interfaz es un poco más como el
Regedit Clásico "."

De todos modos, el cambio de registro que Debe hacer es en:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ Comm \ InternetSharing \ Configuración
Eliminar "ForceCellConnection", o (si estás nervioso) Acaba de cambiar el título. Hice la mía "OldForceCellConnection"

MaxCMConnectRetries Debe establecerse en "0"

TAMBIÉN:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ Comm \ InternetSharing
N Debe haber SIN LLAVES a todos en esta carpeta. Creo que Sprint pone algo más aquí a ensuciar para arriba, y tengo un vago recuerdo que me
Borró una al trabajar en esto antes. Si alguien encuentra una clave de allí, hágamelo saber y voy a actualizar con la información detallada.

Ahora, para realizar un suave para restablecer en el dispositivo. Una vez que vuelva a cargar, abrir el navegador o actualizar el tiempo o hacer algo para
que muestra que el dispositivo está desconectado A su portador. Esté Una vez que, la carga compartida a Internet hasta la Aplicación, y verás un
Nuevo menú desplegable. Usted Desea Seleccionar la conexión de datos de su compañía y no "Teléfono como Módem". Tenga qué una vez Haga clic en
"conectar"

Este debería decir "Comprobar conexión USB Cable". Conecta tu USB a tu ordenador / teléfono.

Esto Tomará un poco de tiempo (hasta un minuto de la primera vez) para que Windows reconozca el dispositivo como una conexión de Internet WinMo.
Una vez que lo hace, el mensaje de estado en el sistema cambiara a "Esperando a la Red". Minas se sienta aquí Durante casi otro minuto completo.
Entonces dice: "Conectado".

Pop Abrir el navegador de su computadora portátil y escribir una bonita nota de Agradecimiento a mcgowanbl Para descubrir
la clave que necesitábamos Nuke.

Se desconectado volver y a conectar y lo encontró, va mucho más rápida es la segunda vez.

Si necesita instrucciones más explícitas, hágamelo saber.
--------------------------------------------------

El splashNews v0.91 trabajando en mi TP.

Solo que estas Modificaciones primero del Registro:

1. HKLM / comm / InternetSharing / Configuración -> ForceCellConnection

Cambiar el valor de "teléfono como módem" un "Sprint"

2. Vaya a HKLM \ Comm \ InternetSharing y Eliminar la clave: Extensión - isext.dll
12/29/2009 5:22 AM | dd

# re: HTC Touch Pro

la ultima instruccion me funciono en mi htc touch pro sprint despues de la actualizacion (im sorry for the english)
12/29/2009 5:25 AM | dd